Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dunkin Donuts...never again!


I didn’t have time to bring a thermos of coffee to work today, so after I parked behind the classy store I work at (yeah, a liquor store) I walked over to Dunkins before I had to open at 12 o’clock.
For once there isn’t a line, which is great, since I’m in a rush.  Sunday mornings there are two or three big groups of regulars…I know this because I tend to run late on Sundays, so I have to buy coffee.  I don’t know if I have seen the friendly lady behind the counter before, but I will never forget her.
I order my “medium hazelnut hot with skim milk, thank you” and she goes to make  it while three other girls are bustling around replenishing donuts.  They are all giggling about something and the woman comes back with my coffee asking

“Anything else?”
“All set, thanks”
“Would you like donut or a bagel?”
“oh, no thank you”
“No donut?”
“No, I’m all set”
“Oh get a donut”

Is this for real….NO DONUT LADY, NOO DONUT! I try to be nice to people in retail or the food industry because I know what its like. People can be crazy about their liquor.  In this situation, I guess I needed to put my crazy pants on because I ended up with a donut. I still don’t really know how it happened. It must be how kids feel after they have been peer pressured and find themselves with a beer in their hands. But I didn’t have a delicious, ice-cold beer, I had a (likely) old, fatty, undelicious, unwanted chocolate glazed donut. I felt tricked. Of course I ate it. It cost me 89 cents, and I am getting my period, so I really have no ability to resist chocolate right now.  The whole time the other girls were giggling and the lady kept asking reaching towards the donuts, just like a high school dance where you’re not in on the joke.

When I walked back in the liquor store, vulnerable and shaken, I saw a bright red price of a nip of Smirnoff Raspberry, 87 cents, less expensive and more worth my money.  I used to get their lattes too, and they aren’t all bad, the flavor is fine, but they are ALL foam, and even then not filled all the way.

What did I learn today? Get my ass up more quickly so I can make my own coffee, or at least have time to get to Starbucks, whose phenomenal customer service is worth the extra mula. 

No comments:

Post a Comment