Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mmmm, cake!

Who doesn’t love cake? I actually prefer to bake them, as you’ll see. A Foley Family tradition was started this year – no more buying cakes. First all, you saves loads of money, but there is also something about homemade cakes – even if they are made with funfetti. This new tradition is right up my alley, I love putting things together (i.e. legos) and crafts, this brings together both ‘brains’ so to speak.

It started with my sister, who seems to love rubbing my mother the wrong way. Jen wanted a funfetti cake for her birthday, I was more than happy to oblige. My mother on the other hand NEEDS to buy cakes from White’s Bakery and we have to have a special dinner, but the special dinner has to be on her terms. I distinctly remember asking for Dinty Moore Beef Stew (if you don’t like it, go jump off a cliff) and she refused, because it wasn’t ‘nice’ enough. Karma is a bitch though, because she made American chop suey and as I was putting it on the table, the plate went where it was supposed to, but the suey went on the wall. Inertia is a funny thing.


Anyway, back to cake. It was my mom’s birthday this week and my
sister and I decided to compromise – we wouldn’t force her to have Funfetti, but she wasn’t allowed to have a store bought cake. So I made red velvet her favorite, and my first cake from scratch (aside from angel food cake). It was beautiful…and really, it isn’t so fancy, just loads of food coloring and bit of cocoa powder. I struggled a bit with the design for this, because I just had to trump my last big cake for my brother’s birthday. Jake’s cake had his favorite stuffed penguin on it, definitely a challenge. I love flowers and all, but I needed to open up my repertoire and I like to have each cake specific to the birthday boy or girl. My dad’s was perfect; you’ll see it in the slide show below.

Mom’s cake ended up being lime green frosting, nice and funky with the red velvet, with a camera. My mom loves photography, but it took me quite a while to get that shit on the cake. The end result was really masterpiece; I just sent a picture to the Louvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment