Sunday, February 20, 2011

Last Day at the Likkah Stoah


 It has happened, nine months after I graduated from college….

I got a job! Did you expect me to say baby? Well, luckily it wasn’t, even though that last week is a bit hazy.  My surprised me with  an awesome (and fitting) mug to put on my desk.

I got an awesome job at an awesome company doing awesome things, it’s gonna be awesome. I gave my two weeks notice to the liquor store, the art center, and the gallery. Yes, three jobs, I tend to overbook myself.  If you haven’t been to Gallery NAGA, on Newbury Street, you should. Not only has it been one of the best jobs, but also it is a great gallery run by great people. Right now there is an awesome show of Peter Vanderwarker’s work. I digress…

Tuesday was my last day at the liquor store, after working there since my senior year of high school.  Working there really is like working with your family, in part because my best friend’s (go here to see her awesome photography) family owns the business. Like any small town business you have your regulars, and your characters that come in (often the same people). My favorite customer, Pete, is a 40 year-old (so he says) mechanic who lives with his elderly parents. He’s one of those people who has lived hard, as in really appreciated the drugs in the 70s (and 80s and 90s probably). He loves NASCAR and all racing, he loves rock n’ roll, he loves questionable jokes and I love him. I probably wouldn’t have loved him if I knew him in his rough and tumble days. Aside from Pete, I get to make fancy designs on the whiteboard when we have wine tastings…oh, and participate in the wine tastings. But, as I worked from 8:45 to 5 (and alone until 2) I thought of some things I wouldn’t miss.

1.   When people say “that was a good year” if the total is $19 and change
2.    When people give me bizarre change in order to get $1.05 back…and they do it after they already          gave me a twenty.
3.   People who walk in and say “I can’t find the….”, without even looking.
4.  Doing bottle returns, especially when they are moldy Coronas with limes from the boaters.
5.   Pervy older men…I don’t think I need to elaborate on that.
6.  Dusting…so much dusting
7.  We have Greek olive oil and sell it in refillable bottles. People try and fill them up to the brim…then they overflow…right at closing time.
8.   People that do loads of lottery, and have extremely complicated directions: ‘back it up’, ‘across the board’, ‘three of this two of those, this game on separate tickets, these repeated 6,782 times”
9.    The dinging sound of the door, I think I’ll continue to get angry whenever I hear that ‘ding-dong’ for years to come.
10.  Children running around the store.
11. Fighting with customers, I might not be the most patient person in retail.
12. People who insist their wine will break if it clanks in the bag and they need 45 bags between each bottle.

I will miss a job where my sister can surprise me with a visit from my cat…my classy, dress-wearing cat.



No comments:

Post a Comment