Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Life of a Post-Grad

First of all, my brain works a lot slower. Just in the past 15 minutes I spent 5 thinking of how to write post- grad (post grad...?) and 2 minutes deleting and replacing the space in a lot. I thought I had done well trying to prevent my brain from dying, but aside from my ever diminishing vocabulary, I have also lost all mathematical skills (but I never really had those anyways), and obtained the equivalent of a full course load even though I'm not enrolled in any full-time program. I am taking to art history courses at a university in Boston and two art classes at the local art center in the town next door. Did I mention I live with my parents? So that would a small art center in a small suburban town.

I had my first drawing class tonight, 6-9, three nice long hours of drawing circles and squares. I understand, better than a lot of people, that you have to start somewhere. What really got to me was the repetition, and the scrape of chalk, and the 60 year-old woman who thought she was hilarious. Enough with the side remarks! You are not Ellen Degeneres! You do not have her witt just because you watch her show (she mentioned she was retired). I envisioned this woman eeeas the cool girl in high school/college and this his her first class since college so she immediately reverted back to that behavior, feeding off of the idea that everyone wants to play with her and she has an audience to please. Ufffffffff. Aside from this woman there are four other 60 year olds, give or take a few years, three girls in high school, one 45 year old woman who is 'advanced' so she draws separately, and then me-smack in the middle. The teacher is a sassy, experienced instructor who had us begin by going around and introducing ourselves, after a few "Well, I have an empty nest" and "I recently retired" it was my turn:

"Hi, I live in the next town and I just graduated from college"

clapping

haha

No comments:

Post a Comment